Location: Redford, MI
Thermo King Michigan’s Redford Township location has a career opportunity for a lead technician/shop foreman. The opening is due to the current foreman slated to retire in the fall of 2021 after 40 years of service.
The right individual will have a minimum of 5 years’ experience working on equipment in the trucking, heavy equipment, automotive, or transport refrigeration industries. This motivated person will ideally have direct supervisory experience overseeing other technicians. Their area of responsibility will be to assist the service writer to manage and organize the work load, so repairs are completed in a smooth and efficient manner. This includes, but is not limited to; working with other shifts and departments in a professional and courteous manner, representing the company, its mission statement and its goals, perform repairs to units across all product lines, and setting a high standard for co-workers to follow to provide “World Class Service” to all customers.
- Manage triage process to reduce dwell time and backlog.
- Triage responsibilities: Assist Service Advisor with prioritization based on complaint and diagnostic verification of needed repairs. Variables include; parts, manpower, skill sets, shop space.
- Perform repairs to units across all product lines.
- Oversee the quality of work and productivity of the technicians on your shift.
- Troubleshoot issues with factory product managers and engineers.
- Maintain required factory and shop tooling.
- Assist with customer technical support calls.
- Share pertinent technical information with technicians.
- Provide direction on the shop floor, keeping technicians focused and on track.
- Provide feedback to the Operations Manager regarding performance of the technicians on your shift.
- Provide recommendations to the Operations Manager with regard to training, building and equipment recommendations/issues, and business opportunities.
- Work with the Operations Manager on continued implementation of diagnostic check sheets, repair standards and procedures, and “best practices.”
- Experienced technician with a minimum of 5 years’ experience working on equipment in the automotive, heavy equipment, trucking, or transport refrigeration industry.
- Ability to troubleshoot, test, repair and service mechanical equipment.
- Experience reading electrical and refrigeration schematics.
- Tools to work on Transport Refrigeration Equipment.
- Able to work one weekend on call every two months.
- A minimum of one year of supervisory experience managing other technicians.
- Ability to drive a class 8 truck (Chauffeur license required).
- Clearly document the diagnostics and repairs that were performed.
- Write and speak English.
- Proficient with a lap top or tablet and Microsoft Windows.
- Able to effectively respond to frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Prefer candidates that are Thermo King certified and possess EPA Section 608 and 609 certifications.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by the candidate to successfully perform certain aspects of the job.
- Able to lift 65 pounds waist high.
- Able to frequently bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb on ladders to get to equipment.
Potential to earn bonus vacation
Health and vision insurance
Company paid dental insurance
Company paid short and long term disability
Profit sharing potential
401k and Roth 401k with company match
$400 yearly tool allowance
Thermo King, part of Trane Technologies, is the global leader in climate control and transport temperature control systems for trailers, trucks, buses, and rail cars to name a few.
Thermo King Michigan, established in 1963, has led Michigan statewide with an incomparable commitment to customers. We are Michigan’s dominant supplier of new and used transport refrigeration equipment, parts and service.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $70,000.00 – $90,000.00 per yearApply Now