APU Benefits: Positive Impact on Tractor
- Idle reduction REDUCES engine maintenance
- Low load idling fills the DPF resulting in more frequent regenerations, which results in more frequent professional servicing of the DPF
- Reduced engine hours INCREASES resale value of tractor
- Unscheduled DPF maintenance = lost time, lost revenue, unplanned costs
- Increased truck idle time leads to premature DPF clogging. Additional DPF cleaning $850 – $1500
- The results are more active regenerations. Active regenerations require more fuel $$$ and increased truck maintenance including dosing valves and NOx sensor failures. Ultimately additional Cost!
Idling Myths: How Much is Enough?
Source: Cummins, Western Canada
- It’s the most inefficient mode – emissions
- Fuel contamination of lube oil is high at idle
- Cylinder wall wear is accelerated by “wash down”
- Short term idling actually “over cools” the engine
- Engine life can be reduced by up to 20%
- 500 hrs of idling = 64,000 miles of wear
- Noise emissions